Thursday, February 12, 2009

What the @%#& is he talking about?

Even though I am of the mind that context and not words have true meaning, I still know that censorship has a purpose. For example, when it comes to these blogs I understand that we try to censor ourselves out of respect to each other and the grandmother rule, even though, I have known a couple of grandmothers with mouths like sailors. Also, to emphasize the point that context has true meaning over words, take my title for example. Even though, I did not use a swear word in the title, I’m sure almost everyone of you inserted your own swear word, whether it was @#%& or!%&@ or maybe even &#!%. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is even though I understand the purpose of censorship, I still have to ask myself, where’s that line? Where is the line where we can censor classic plays and still call ourselves artists? I don’t know if any of you know, but I am currently in the production of “Death of a Salesman” by Arthur Miller (shameless plug, show times are next week February 18-21st, 7:30, free to students with ID in Vangstad). This play was written in 1947 and it uses language like “goddamit” and “Jesus Christ.” Now I know some people might find this language a tad offensive but I refuse to believe that the “little, old, blue haired ladies” in the audience would refuse or complain about a classic play such as this because the language was a little blue collar. But, these words have been removed from next week’s performances, except for one line. I believe the art suffers from this changing of language, in the play the swearing is even referenced as a point of hypocrisy between father and son. Not to sound pretentious, but as a writer of plays myself, I believe Arthur Miller had intention with every sentence in that play and to change it is irreverent. But maybe it is just me, maybe I am reading too much into it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment