Thursday, January 29, 2009

So, where have all the cowboy’s gone!?

Has anyone else noticed it has been a long time since there was a good western? No? Is it just me? I look in the video store for westerns for my dad but I end up with poorly written and poorly acted pseudo westerns that are historically inaccurate, boring and pointless. And then to try and make them interesting they try to mix genre’s like stagecoach robbers in a haunted house, or cowboys fighting zombies. I know 3:10 to Yuma was moderately successful, but it was also a remake. Cowboy films used to be huge blockbusters. What happened? Was it that they weren’t selling anymore or did Hollywood just stop caring about the genre? Some of my favorite films have been westerns: Two Mules for Sister Sara, A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Quick and the Dead. Mind you all of these films not only had great actors but great directors as well; Sergio Leone, Sam Raimi. I am surprised that with not only the financial success but the critical success of 3:10 to Yuma, westerns didn’t begin to worm their way back onto the silver screen again. But westerns are not the only genres suffering. I am noticing more and more that comedies are going down the tube, as well. Both genres seem to have one thing in common- laziness. No one wants to take the time to write something really clever, so they either go for the big action packed, special effects saturated hoopla or the cheap laugh.
I think we are due for another really good western. They need to make a comeback.

Procuring and Maintaining Sources
http://www.spj.org/rrr.asp?ref=56&t=yj

No comments:

Post a Comment