Thursday, February 19, 2009

There’s no such thing as bad publicity, but what about anything for publicity?

In searching the news this week, I discovered that as long as it can promote the movie it’s worth writing about. You will not believe this, but Mickey Rourke’s, the star of the new Oscar nominated film The Wrestler, dog has died. I know, I know, hold back the tears; I was just as shocked as you are. Obviously, I’m joking, I’m just sad that this was actually a news story. I understand that people have a tendency to get a little celebrity obsessed and want to know what’s going on in their personal lives even if they don’t actually know them and it is really none of their business, but this is obviously a lame, desperate ploy to get publicity for the movie The Wrestler. I don’t know why, the film is nominated for an Oscar, and what more publicity do they need? I know Mickey Rourke is having another comeback and he has been through a lot with coming back from the drug and alcohol abuse to star in an Oscar nominated film, but I don’t care about the fact that his dog died. Don’t get me wrong I love dogs and it is sad that it is dead but I do not need to know about it. And basically, it is just not newsworthy. Of course, I am being a little hypocritical because really the only thing worse than writing a lame story about his dog dying is me blogging about his dog dying. It just goes to show that as long as it can plug a movie it is worth writing about. But I don’t know what do you think? Here is the website: http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Oscars/story?id=6897261&page=1

4 comments:

  1. Crystal, that is funny. I don't think you are being that hypocritical when blogging about the dead dog. Honestly, i have always seen that publicity will grab any angle they can to get more people to hear about the movie. It gets to a point where the public does not want to see if because they have already seen enough of it. It is sad though, that this guy's dog is the gimmick they needed. That's showbiz for you I guess. It's not over till this last dog dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post, Crystal. I think it is these kind of stunts that celebrities pull that make the public frustrated with them. I also like dogs and can understand how losing one can be a painful experience. However, using this to gain publicity just seems wrong. For me, it would make me less likely to go see a film if I heard this was the way they were going about promoting the film. If celebrities feel like they have no privacy they should take a look at themselves and see how they get their name out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. I love dogs, but I do think it is a little extreme for news stories to be written about celebritie's dogs dying. I think it is more for the attention and more publicity. There are crazy people out in the world who are fanatics about some celebrities and follow everything about them and want to know everything that goes on in their lives. The next story will be that he gets a new puppy and it's so loving and snuggles all of the time, then the old dog will soon be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal,
    This story is too funny! Not funny because the dog died, but funny because the world at large cares that a celebrity’s dog has passed away. This is news? Like you said, I love dogs just as much as the next person, but I don’t personally think this is news or should even be given the time of day in a newspaper or on a news program. What’s next Mickey Rourke shaved his face? Mickey Rourke took a shower? Who cares!!

    ReplyDelete