Sunday, May 10, 2009

Yes, I am in Community Theater

I have recently had the pleasure of being inducted onto the board of the Valley City Community Theater. I am very happy to be a part of it and I think it is a great opportunity for me considering I am not a part of a lot of extracurricular activities besides theater here at the college. However, I was incredibly disappointed at the lack of structure amongst the board. One meeting took almost two and a half hours. Mainly because too much time was spent on unimportant topics, nobody was willing to make a concrete decision or obstained from voting on an important topic when a decision desperately needed to be made. I also noticed that I was the youngest member of the board and only one amongst two others who noticed that this board lacked structure. Strangely both of these members are the second and third youngest. I felt that in order to get things done I had to be almost rude, well, scratch that, I had to be downright rude in order to go to the next topic. I felt bad because they just put me on the board tonight and I am also doing my internship with them, so, I felt I should have shown more gratitude but at the same time I wasn’t willing to put a hold on my opinion just to save feelings, especially when it stalled in the face of progress. So, my point is this, am I overreacting to this position? Am I right in my conception that it is better to be a bit of a wench and say what’s on my mind or should I just keep my mouth shut and let everyone do what they want?

1 comment:

  1. First off, congratulations and second off, speak your mind! In order for progress to be made someone needs to step up and take charge and that sounds just like what you did. Some people are followers and some are leaders, in order to get anywhere those leaders need to stand up and lead. Say what is on your mind and do not worry about feelings, because in the end when progress has been made they will look back and realize what greatness you have brought and forget about being upset.

    ReplyDelete