Thursday, March 26, 2009

Working Out Might Do You In

When I saw the article “Is Working Out the Newest Health Threat?” I was immediately intrigued. The article was about a woman who went to a gym and the personal trainer pushed her so hard that she was in bed for two days and found herself in the hospital suffering from exertional rhabdomyolysis, which can be potentially fatal. Exertional rhabdomyolysis is a condition caused when the muscle fibers break down into the blood stream so severely that they clog the kidneys, making them unable to process urine properly. This disturbed me because the article pointed out that there are no criteria or standards for personal trainers at gyms. The requirements are set by the employers not by laws. I have a tendency to stay away from the opinion that there should be more laws but I think in this case I will make an exception, when it comes to the health of the body and working out I do not think ignorant, uncertified people should be at the helm of telling people what to do. The article went on to give the statistics of what kind of scores by trainers with different and no kinds of certifications. The article basically states that there are no national requirements or standards for someone to be a trainer. Some gyms only have the requirement of being at least 18 and having a high school diploma. Some trainers are just college students who work for free membership and aren’t even majoring in physical training or therapy. Like I said I try to avoid there being more laws and giving the government more power but I do think I am right there should definitely be some sort of standard or standardized testing or certification for someone to be a personal trainer. What do you think?
Here is the URL
http://health.msn.com/fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100234946&page=2

3 comments:

  1. Crystal,

    Although I don’t think that any new laws necessarily need to be put in place about this issue. I think perhaps trainers should have a degree or certification of some sort behind them. I enjoy exercise a lot. However, I wouldn’t be comfortable having a trainer who has just as much knowledge as I do about health. I don’t think that they should allow anyone to be a trainer. People put their trust in trainers and they shouldn’t have to question that trust or regret it weeks down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story you mention about the woman overworking herself it interesting. I personal trainers do what they want and their job is to push you to work very hard, but I think a person should kind of know how much they can handle. Personally, I do not believe that anyone can physically make you work out and overwork yourself. If a personal trainer physically makes you do something, then that is just wrong and they should not have a license to train. I am not bashing on this lady by any means for not knowing how much she overworked herself, but if you find a personal trainer they should be certified for sure. After all, that is what you are paying for, to be trained to know when to quit and how much or what to do.

    ReplyDelete